Piano LIFE SAVER
whole home and portable systems
Whole-House Air Conditioner
While it is well known that most forms of air conditioning dehumidify the air as they cool it, air conditioners are designed to cycle on and off to maintain a desirable temperature. When the desired temperature is achieved, the unit turns off, no matter what the humidity level is. In addition, most whole-house air conditioners are unable to reduce the relative humidity lower than 60%, which is outside the safe zone for pianos.
Most whole house humidifiers have the same limitations as air conditioners. Since they are mounted on the furnace, when the furnace has achieved the desired temperature, both the furnace and the humidifier turn off, no matter what humidity level is attained in individual rooms. They also can use over 10 gallons of water per day. The Piano Life Saver System uses 2-3 gallons per month.
Portable "Room" Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
The Piano Life Saver not only saves you money, time, and hassle, it outperforms a room humidifier/dehumidifier:
- The initial cost of a portable dehumidifier and humidifier is about the same as a Piano Life Saver System. However, when it comes to day-to-day maintenance, if you place any value on your time, you will pay much more to keep a dehumidifier and humidifier operating continuously.
- With the use of a portable dehumidifier and humidifier, you will need to monitor the environment daily with a hygrometer to be sure the humidity remains in a safe range for the piano. The Piano Life Saver System automatically keeps the humidity in a safe range for your piano year after year.
- To operate a portable dehumidifier or humidifier continuously requires that you empty (or fill) a large reservoir at least once every day. Who will do it for you when you're not at home? In contrast, the Piano Life Saver System's small Humidifier requires only one can of water, twice a month, in most environments.
- Portable dehumidifiers and humidifiers are intrusive, noisy appliances while the Piano Life Saver System is discreetly located inside the piano and works silently.
- The electricity cost to operate the Piano Life Saver System is a small fraction of the cost to operate a portable humidifier/dehumidifier.
- The average room humidifier will use several gallons of water per day, whereas the Piano Life Saver System uses only 2-3 gallons per month on average.
- In cold northern climates, keeping the entire room in the safe humidity zone for pianos results in condensation on windows which may lead to structural damage around the window. Condensation may also form inside the walls surrounding the room and promote the growth of mold and mildew and can cause structural damage to both interior and exterior walls. Since the Piano Life Saver System only humidifies the piano, no damage to your home will take place.
Click here to compare electrical costs.